Hello, friends today we will be talking about how you can setup your own VPN server. Why use a VPN? If you are traveling or you are in your favorite cafe reading a blog or browsing the internet, the chance that some malicious users might be sitting on the same and network can easily intercept your web activity. And if you are at home then your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will likely be logging your activity for data collection or targeted advertising campaigns.
“ISPs are in a position to see a lot of what you do online. They kind of have to be, since they have to carry all of your traffic,”
Explained Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) senior staff technologist Jeremy Gillula, in an interview with PCMagazine UK.
And the simple and easy method of preventing your privacy, surveillance and browsing data secure is to use VPN.
What is a VPN?
You can see VPN as a separate computer that is located at a different location now when you connect to that computer using VPN your data and traffic for all services go to that computer over an encrypted channel and then sent to the website that you are visiting.
And the websites or services that you are using while being connected to the VPN only see the IP address of the computer that you are connected to by using a VPN, masking your real identity and location.
How to setup a VPN?
There are many VPN options available out there which include paid providers. But if you are paranoid and don’t trust those providers with your privacy then it is best to setup your own VPN server. The benefits of hosting your own VPN server are that you are in control and your privacy is not being shared with anyone.
Most of the VPN providers are charging their users $4-$5 per month you can host your own VPN server for 5$ per month and share that VPN with as many users as possible.
Outline is an incredible project from Jigsaw, aimed at providing safety to journalists online, particularly those in countries with censored or monitored internet.
From our perspective, it is the easiest way for anyone to create their own VPN server in a few minutes and grant anyone access from an easy to use interface. It works on Mac, PC, Android, iPhone, and Linux.
Outline has key benefits over other solutions and paid VPN providers:
- Operate your own server and control who has access to it
- Outline is completely open-source and was audited by Radically Open Security (2017) and Cure53 (2018). If you wish, you can review and audit the code yourself
- Strong and fast encryption by default (via Shadowsocks)
- Once configured, Outline servers keep themselves updated with the latest security updates. No maintenance required.
How to Install Outline
- Download Outline Manager here: https://getoutline.org
- Install the Outline Manager on your computer and open it up.
- After that, we are going to click on setup Outline using DigitalOcean.
- You will be required to login to your DigitalOcean account.
- It will ask you to select a location for your server to make sure to select the one nearest to you as it will be much faster.
- Now Outline Manager will automatically create a $5 per month droplet and configure all the required tools needed on the server.
- Once it’s all configured you will see something like this.
Following the instructions within the Outline Manager to setup Outline on this device, or click ‘Add New Key’ and share the generated details to connect from another Mac, PC or mobile device.
On the device, click the invitation link and follow the instructions.